Mover's Unclaimed Storage Auctions
We are the Illinois Movers' and Warehousemen's Association longest-established auction company. Since joining in 1999, we have conducted dozens of the required Lien Act storage auctions for our fellow members.
Quality Illinois movers choose Prigge Auctions for their Lien Act auction needs for these five reasons:
1. We know the Lien Act law. This Illinois law has specific requirements that must be met to avoid costly tort law litigation against the mover regardless of the auction company's actions as the mover's agent. Plus, we do the paperwork FOR you.
2. We have conducted seminars for our fellow members on lawful Lien Act auctions. We have also given sworn litigation testimony on behalf of an IMAWA client which led to a successful resolution.
3. It is against Illinois law to sell unopened moving company vaults, crates or even boxes and furniture sealed by furniture pads covered by the Illinois Warehouseman's Lien Act law. Avoiding unintended contraband sales to unauthorized buyers (firearms & illegal weaponry, alcohol, adults-only items, etc.) is just common sense business. If a delinquent owner OK's the release of their goods to the mover in exchange for stopping collection proceedings, the lien is removed and then and only then can surprise vaults and boxes be sold. It also means the moving company can open, unpack and remove items from vaults and not have them sold.
We don't allow that and we will not work for a mover who wants us to do that.
4. We are a full-time, professional auction firm entering into our 28th year in 2018. Today's bidders expect certain levels of professionalism with auction companies and that includes making it easy for them to spend money. That is why we take cash, check and credit cards from Visa, Mastercard and Discover on Lien Act auctions. Forcing a bidder to only pay cash at these types of auctions severely limits attendance and spending capability.
5. Illinois Lien Act auctions do not require auction companies to charge Illinois sales tax to buyers. Why charge any buyer a sales tax when it's not required? More importantly, why select an auction company that charges a non-required sales tax to sell your unclaimed storage? Charging a non-required sales tax gives those who have a tax-exempt resale tax number (usually resellers and dealers) a 7.25% buying power advantage over all other bidders (most of those in attendance) who do not have that exemption.
Remember, these auctions usually occur as the result of non-payment of the mover's storage fees when they move a business or residential customer and the goods cannot be unloaded at the customer's location. Precise procedures need to take place before the items in the storage vaults can be sold. We sort these units down and prepare them for auction much in the same way as an estate auction.
These are NOT self-storage or self-packed POD units where a customer rents a unit, provides their own lock and packs their own unit. Therefore, we do not sell entire vaults of unseen merchandise as a surprise lot. Again, doing so is illegal in Illinois.
** SPECIAL NOTE FOR MOVING COMPANIES **
Lien Act auctions are specialized auctions governed by specific Illinois laws and are, in no way, to be conducted like a standard household, farm, business and especially a TV show auction. Therefore, they should never be handled by a standard auction company.
Because not following all of the legal requirements, especially on auction day and the following 48 hours, can expose you to litigation from both your customer and the auction company. What most auction companies normally do during a typical household or farm auction can never be done during a Lien Act auction.
As members of the IMAWA since 1999, we are recognized as the "go-to" auction company for movers. We routinely conduct six-10 of these auctions every year - many for movers who contract with us every year. We are in regular contact with attorneys who specialize in these matters and share vital information with each other on how to conduct these auctions correctly, legally and profitably. We have also been a part of a deposition that ended favorably for the mover because we performed the auction correctly and lawfully.
Selecting us to conduct your required auction provides you the answers to all of the "What if..." questions you have.
Still need more convincing? We're proud to be endorsed and recommended by the professionals in the Illinois moving industry.
"A professional you can rely upon, I regularly refer my clients to John Prigge. He will save you the trouble of navigating the minefield of complying with complex rules for safely selling off unclaimed or unpaid goods."
IMAWA attorney, Joel H. Steiner of Axelrod, Goodman, Steiner & Bazelon, Chicago
No other Illinois auction company knows the Lien Act law better than we do.
No other Illinois auction company does more Lien Act auctions than we do.
MOST IMPORTANTLY - We Handle The Paperwork!
We assemble and mail the required Final Demand letters, plus place the required legal notices all for FREE! Allow us to show you how our letters get more action than your letters can. Contact us for details!
Who Have We Helped?
Here are our fellow IMAWA members we have conducted auctions for:
All Chicagoland Moving & Storage, Elmhurst
All My Sons Moving & Storage, Woodridge
Armstrong Relocation Chicago, Glendale Hts.
Bekins A1 Chicago, Lake Zurich
Berryman Transfer & Storage, Joliet
Boerman Moving & Storage, Woodridge
Breda Moving & Storage, Roselle
Century Moving, Lombard
Deerfield Moving & Storage Inc., Wheeling
Dibble Moving & Storage, Inc., Lombard
Edler & Co., Skokie
Federal Companies, Waukegan and Peoria
Glen Ellyn Moving & Storage, Addison
Golan's Moving & Storage, Skokie
Hagemaster Moving & Storage, Chicago Heights
Hunt the Mover, Bensenville
In and Out Moving & Storage, Lincolnwood
Jackson Moving Services, Naperville
Koldon Moving & Storage, Lake Zurich
Mini Moves inc., Broadview
Midwest Moving & Storage, Elk Grove
North Shore Van Lines, Inc., Libertyville
Nu-Way Transit, Forest Park
O´Boyle Moving & Storage, McHenry
Olsen Bros., Rolling Meadows
Prager Moving & Storage, Naperville
Premier Moving Services, Elgin
Reebie Storage and Moving Co., Inc., Franklin Park & Naperville
Skipworth Moving Systems, Inc., Batavia
Specialty Moving Systems, Inc., Glendale Heights
STI Moving and Storage, Skokie
The Beltmann Group, Glendale Heights
Are you ready for room in YOUR warehouse?
How Can We Earn Your Business?